We spent the first few days in Vienna as complete tourists. We made the short trip from our hotel to Stephensplatz, the location of St. Stephens Cathedral, which was mind-blowing. We were then approached by someone dressed as Mozart and were convinced to go to a show with music from Mozart that included beautiful dancing and opera singing. (Which turned out to be a 20 foot stage with poor dancing but fantastic classical music... Dad really liked it...) Right next to the Cathedral was the Spanish Riding School, so we obviously took the tour. I will admit, the kind of stuff that the horses are able to do is pretty cool. We weren't able to see a show or the practice but there is one in February... I might go just to bug Jodi. We celebrated my birthday dinner at a typical Viennese restaurant and of course the waiters were told it was my birthday. I am assuming they do birthdays big here because as they entourage of waiters were coming they turned off the lights in our section. Not only do they put a candle on top of the dessert, they practically put an entire firework. The next day we made our way to Schönbrunn, the old summer castle of the Austrian Royal family. Out of 1,400 rooms, we saw 40.
Monday morning eventually had to come, the first day of work at BAWAG P.S.K. (Pronounced BA-VAG) Everyone speaks a moderate amount of English because the new CEO and head of Marketing (my boss) are British and Norweigen. It is a little bit overwhelming being surrounding by German and having absolutely no idea what anyone is ever saying. I find that I am less distracted by others this way, but am completely zoned out should someone be trying to talk to me. I just kinda blankly stare at them until one of my colleagues mentions that I am the English girl. Most of the time they just walk away... The department has me coming up with new concepts for the youth program to recruit more teenagers to the bank. I am enjoying it so far (3 days in).
Jodi and dad left this morning, and I said good-bye last night. As Hannah and I were driving away in the car it dawned on me that I was now alone in this foreign city. As great as it is to have Hannah, it is a little bit overwhelming, but very manageable. Everyone can speak English (except for the employees of the drug store and grocery store), and are very friendly.
My 'flat-mate' is great and so is the apartment. I am living with a girl named Hannah who is from the U.K. She found me on my first day of work and saved me from an lonely lunch alone. We met on the internet through a forum for Austrian students looking for flat-mates. It turned out she works for the same bank, and on the same floor, that I do. A pretty convenient coincidence.
I am planning on staying in Austria for a couple of weeks to become more familiar with the city. I want to ski Austria and see as much of my 'home' city that I can. For now, I am trying to get by with smiles and guten-tag.
guten-tag Stephanie! Vielen Dank für die Tour von Wien. Jodi und ich sind wieder sicher, obwohl es war ein großer Verspätung wegen schlechten Wetters! I would continue, but not sure if your google-translater gets it all. Glad we could be there to see you start your journey. As a parent it is reassuring that all seems OK even though you are 1,000's of miles away!Hope you enjoy the 'trip', learn a few things and live-the-life! Dad
ReplyDeleteHi Steph, Thanks for the great updates. I am sure that everyone agrees that it's like being there with you. Dad
ReplyDelete